Saturday, April 15, 2017

#4 All Ears English -- Music to Your Ears

In this article, I'd like to share the vocabulary and some phrases that I learned in this episode of All Ears English this podcast:
https://www.allearsenglish.com/aee-720-episode-will-music-ears-youll-learn-add-color-language/
I would also leave some opinions about this podcast.

Vocabulary:
spontaneously: Adverb. Something that is spontaneous has not been planned or organized, but happens by itself, or because you suddenly feel you want to do it.
Example: She laughed spontaneously.

“That’s music to my ears”: Something is nice to be hear.
Example: Her voice is the music to my ears.

“Face the music”: Face to/accept to something which is bad or someone is avoiding to it.
Example: I really don't feel like to finish the assignment, but still, it's time to face the music.

“Ring a bell”: Something that sounds familiar.
Example: His name doesn’t ring a bell. (=I don't recognize his name.)

“Play it by ear”: To do something spontaneously without a plan.
Example: Where should we go for dinner? Let’s play it by ear.

“Toot (someone’s) own horn”: To brag, to show off
Example:
Ugh, that guy loves tooting his own horn! He’s so self-involved!
I don't want to toot my own horn  but I think he likes me.

Opinions:
This podcast use a pretty casual way to introduce many daily useful phrases.  After listen to some other episodes, I think there are few points they can make a little improve to make the whole content better.  There are about 16 minutes for each episode and I heard like 5 or even more minutes about its advertisement, that can make the listener really tired.  About their style, sometimes they use too many "you know" in sentences, sometimes are really annoying since I didn't really got the situation of their life.  All Ears is good, only some little points need to be improve.

1 comment:

  1. True, i guess they need to have some advertisements, to make some money to run this site. But when the advertisements are too long, it's distracting...

    ReplyDelete